When you are expecting a new baby, there are so many decisions to make! Often times, those decisions can be quite overwhelming when there are so many choices. One component that can be particularly overwhelming is choosing your newborn photographer. When you decide to document this precious stage of new life, you are investing in memories that will last a lifetime. In the blink of an eye, babies grow up, and the details of the beginning can become quite fuzzy. You will gain advice from moms everywhere you go (and sometimes even when you don't want to!) so I hope this information can be helpful for anyone that is in the process of finding a newborn photographer!
How To Choose A Newborn Photographer | Jacksonville Newborn Photographer
1) SAFETY: First and foremost, safety should be the TOP priority of any newborn photographer that you hire. This person that you are paying to handle your precious child should take the utmost caution when it comes to your baby. There are so many aspects of this, so I will touch on a few. Ask yourself (or your photographer) some of these questions if you aren't sure. Do they have experience with babies, and newborns in particular? What kinds of posing do they do, and do they use spotters when necessary? Trust me, this is a big one. There are MANY photos that you will see on Pinterest (or other websites) with some adorable poses and props. It is vital to understand that the majority of these photos need to happen with a spotter for safety. (See example below)
2. STYLE: Now for the fun part! What's your style? Do you like babies in big headbands with lots of props? Or is your style more simple and neutral? There is no wrong answer! The beauty of this world is that everyone has different styles and tastes! When you are searching for a newborn photographer, make sure you take a good look at their current portfolio. Doing so will give you an idea of how your own portraits will look. If you have any special requests, ask! Most photographers will do their best to incorporate client ideas, while still staying true to their own style.
3. AVAILABILITY: A newborn session typically takes place when your baby is between 6-10 days old, and lasts an average of 3 hours. When you are pregnant, that may seem like nothing. However, when recovering from childbirth, lack of sleep, and the emotional roller coaster that you may be on, it can be a bit overwhelming. That's why it is so important to consider how your newborn photographer operates. Does she/he work in a studio that you would need to travel to, or do they travel to your home? Some parents prefer to get out of the house, and others prefer to stay in the comfort of their home. Others have no preference. Again, there is no right answer to this one, but it is certainly an important component to consider!
4. PRODUCTS: What do you want to get out of your session? Do you want a USB with digital files? Albums, canvases, or custom framing? Or maybe a little bit of everything? Every potential client has different expectations when it comes to final products, and there are definitely great reasons to take home any of these keepsakes. I encourage you to ask your potential photographer what they offer, and why. If you are unsure about anything that is available, meet them in person to see the products; you may be surprised at what you find!
5. PRICE: Perhaps one of the most deciding factors for some, price is always a very important consideration. This is very understandable! When you are looking into newborn photography, you will find that there are many different photographers, with many different skill sets, as well as many different price ranges. It can be confusing, and sometimes difficult to understand. Often times, it is tempting to make a decision based on price alone, but I encourage you to look at all aspects listed above before making that choice. Why is one photographer more expensive than the other? Believe me, there are so many reasons, but you have to make the choice for yourself that will best suit the needs of your family. Most importantly, I encourage you to remember that these memories are fleeting. Often, you only have one chance to have portraits like this, and they are your key to the past as well an heirloom for your future.
Photography By Diana Marie is a Florida based newborn photographer serving Jacksonville, St Augustine, and surrounding areas. If you would like more information on scheduling a newborn session, click here to contact us!